Wilcoma: Old English for 'welcome'; or 'welcome guest'.
Amblecote is a place in the Midlands of England within the 'Black Country'.
Amblecote was named by the Saxons at the site of an earlier original British settlement and recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as the manor of 'Elmlecote' in south Staffordshire on the border with Worcestershire. After many years as an agricultural village, the 17th century saw Amblecote embrace the Industrial Revolution and become a place of mines and factories, most notably producing coal, clay, bricks, iron, sand and glassware; although it never entirely lost its rural character. By the late 19th century Amblecote had become an Urban District which, with 3,000 inhabitants, was reputedly the smallest in England. Nevertheless, civic pride remained a vital local force until, in 1966, the UDC was divided between the nearby towns of Stourbridge and Brierley Hill. A further amalgamation occurred in 1974 when by government edict the new and artificial 'County of West Midlands' was created to unify the urban areas of Birmingham and the Black Country. Stourbridge, along with Amblecote and many other once independent localities, was unnaturally incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of 'Dudley'. The future of Amblecote in the 21st Century is unclear as 'Dudley' itself may be amalgamated into the 'Birmingham City Region'. Amblecote History Society exists to preserve and protect the heritate of the area.
|EARLY INHABITANTS||ANGLO-SAXONS||THE NORMANS||MEDIEVAL|